Recipe of the week:
25 November 2010
3 medium sized potatoes 2 eggs
small grated onion flour (as required)
1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking powder
dash pepper oil for frying
½ teaspoon sugar
Method:· Grate potatoes and onion on fine side of grater, and drain off liquid.
· Add salt, pepper and sugar.
· Add beaten eggs.
· Add flour and baking powder.
· Drop by tablespoons into deep hot oil to which small piece of onion has been added.
· Fry until golden brown on each side. Serve immediately.
18 November 2010
Lokshen Kugel (Pudding)
Broad lokshen sultanas
salt and pepper 1 egg (beaten)
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon chicken fat
1 tablespoon syrup
· Break up lokshen to form 4 or 5 tablespoonsful.
· Boil in salt water until tender.
· Drain, run through in cold water.
· Add other ingredients.
· Place in greased fireproof dish and bake till golden brown.
Time: 30 Minutes
Note: For milk pudding, substitute butter for chicken fat.
11 November 2010
3-4 medium potatoes
1/3 cup oil
¼ cup flour or matzah meal
2-2½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
· Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
· Grate or grind potatoes and onion.
· Combine with other ingredients.
· Pour into greased baking dish and bake for 1-1½ hours until golden brown and knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
· If there is a delay in baking, sprinkle matzah meal (or flour) over the grated potatoes to prevent discolouration.
· Stir in just before baking.
· Serves about 8.
05 November 2010
Gefilte Fish Loaf
1kg minced fish (with onion and carrot)
2 beaten eggs
½ cup oil
½ cup matzo meal
¼ cup sugar
½ cup water
· Mix all ingredients well.
· Put the mixture into a greased tin.
· Bake at 180 for 40 to 50 minutes.
· Cool and decorate.
· Serve with Chraine (horseradish).
28 October 2010
Mock Chopped Herring
1 medium firm eggplant and salt for sweating
1 egg and flour for frying
small onion, chopped
1 Tblsp almonds/walnuts, chopped
pepper and garlic powder to taste
2 boiled eggs
oil for frying
- Peel, slice and salt eggplant.
- Leave to sweat for +- 1 hour.
- Rinse very well.
- Dry with paper towels.
- Dip in egg and seasoned flour (no extra salt).
- Fry until brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Fry onion.
- Grind or chop all the ingredients together.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve at room temperature.